Sunday, August 7, 2011

OSTEOSARCOMA SUCKS!!!! Part 1

Since the fateful day of May 12, 2011, when our vet sadly told us that Brutus indeed had Osteosarcoma I have tried to educate myself as much as possible on this horrible cancer.

Basically Osteosarcoma is a cancer that eats the bone from the inside out . Experts states its amounts to a slowing exploding bone. That amputation , chemo-radio therapy and pain meds are the only options available to treat this cancer.

Our vet said that he was not a good candidate for amputation of the leg due to Hip Dysplasia ( also found at that visit). He explained that Bru could have a life expectancy of 3-6 months. That 6 months would be pushing it. Xrays showed some specks in his lungs which means this was already metastazing. Since the surgery and treatments was something I could never afford and there was no guarantee of a cure so that option was ruled out. I also felt it would be cruel to put him though so much suffering only to have him live for maybe additional 6 -9 months. Dr Abadia was very compssionate as he recommended that I take Brutus home with a pain management plan and to spend our time together just loving him and cherishing every moment .

I left the office devastated and totally confused. Even though I am in the medical field, I have no exposure to animals cancers or even what to expect. So I hit the internet looking for any and all info on this cancer , My devastation turned to panic and fear. There was a lot of articles on the issue and even xrays to show what a vet looks for but there was not pictures available as to what to visually expect or what the stages would look like. That is why I am trying to document the changes and stages.

In the beginning Brutus only had a limp and favored his leg. The Picture above is of Brutus at 2 months post diagnosis. The boney tumor is starting to show and he only could minimal weight on his leg. He would still walk on it and would slightly pull it up when he was stationary

Today is 3 months post diagnosis ( see part two on next psot) and even though he is slowing down , he is still with us, wants to be with us and is in minimal pain....if thats all he can do... then I will TAKE IT !!!!

































































No comments:

Post a Comment