Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just the Two US

Garage time ..

The garage is a very special place for Brutus and I. Just the two us.

Whenever I go into the garage for what ever reason it may be I always have company. All I have to say is "Garage" and I hear the pitter patter of Bru's
pitite paws racing to the door. He used to almost knock me down trying to beat me to the door, now a now a days he hobbles on three legs as fast as he with the tenacious heart as before but his body defies him and he is much much slower.

A while back during one of garage visits Brutus found a tennis ball and I tried to play fetch with him but he refused to let go of the ball. Being the dominant dog that he is there was no way he was going to let go of the ball. So I chased him around the garage until we were both hot and tired. I was determined to teach him to play catch and in doing so work on the "Sit and wait Look at Me, Let go, or Give me" commands. This became a daily habit with us and he soon learned that giving up the ball was a good thing. We have lots of fun with our one on one time. There are still times that his feisty attitudes shows up and he will play "kept away from Mom" and we play chase in the garage or I fight him for the ball.. its all in good fun ..and again its our special time.

Unfortunately the length of time we have been spending in the garage is dwindling. It breaks my heart to see my once super strong boy struggle to get his ball and want to stop after a few "get it boy" and "Bring to Momma's". throws. But I cherish every special moment as it is STILL OUR TIME TOGETHER.

At this point he still has the "will and want" to go to the garage to find his ball. I live in fear of the day he no longer wants to go to garage anymore. I can not let him see my fear and sadness. I will encourage and cheer him on until the end. THESE PRECIOUS MOMENTS I TREASURE NOW AND WILL FOREVER. ....ME AND BRU'S SPECIAL GARAGE TIME



No comments:

Post a Comment