Friday, August 12, 2011

Let the Balls Grow.. for a little while anyways...




Brutus is dying from Osteosarcoma. I hope this post helps to educate owners on the issue of neutering your male before maturity.

Please let me start off by saying that due to the fact that I am a volunteer at HCAS I have witnessed first hand the over breeding & overpopulation issues and the sad reality that comes with it. Thus I AM PRO SPAY AND NEUTER for the average family pet. However I am not a Neuter Nazi and believe that each owner needs to make an educated decision as to what is right for them and thier pet.

THIS POST IS ABOUT THE FACT THAT STUDIES SHOW THAT MALE LARGE BREED DOGS WHO ARE NEUTERED BEFORE MATURITY RUN A HIGHER RISK OF GETTING THIS FORM OF CANCER.

There are many articles out there to read to educate yourself on. One example states:
Gender
The risk of bone cancer is slightly higher in male dogs than females. In addition, the risk of osteosarcoma is about 65% greater for neutered males and 34% greater for spayed females. For dogs spayed or neutered before one year of age, the risk seems to be even higher.
Size
Canine osteosarcoma occurs more often in large and giant breeds. Specifically, dogs weighing over 75 pounds are at a greater risk to develop bone cancer than dogs weighing less than 75 pounds


My personal vet advised me that all his cases have been males who were neutered before maturity. He asked other local vets and sadly they responded with the same results.

I have many friends who do not spay/ neuter their dogs as they are "performance/show dogs" and they have not had this issue with thier dogs. My own male Shaft was not neutered until later in life due to medicall issue and he is 11 years old and going strong. Where as Brutus , who is only 8 years old , was neutered at a younger age, before 18 months. I neutered him not because of any breeding issues but due to an aggression issue. Let me tell you .. neutering him DID NOT change his aggressive temperment at all. ( so there goes that arguement, with me anyways). Actually I believe Neutering him before maturity caused so many more issues such as his skin allergies and possible immune system problems as he was an extremly healthy dog before I neutered and microchipped him.

I personally will never again neuter any male dog prior to maturity as the risk to me is NOT WORTH IT.

I understand the benefits of neutering a male dog especially once they get older as then there is the risk of prostate cancer. I understand that shelters have no choice but to spay and neuter. I am a responsible owner who has never bred any of my males and have no intentions of ever becoming a breeder so this wont be an issue for me.

Just thought that I would put this out there so that this can be added to the discussion and education on this the never ending some times very heated topic of spay and neuter. IF YOU CAN ..LET THE BALLS GROW.. AND WAIT FOR MATURITY.



No comments:

Post a Comment