Wednesday, July 27, 2011

HOMEWARD BOUND -Lil Sam to Brutus


20 years ago When I first met my husband he owned the most beautiful female red nose pit bull name Sheba. Ever since then he has always wanted another. I promised him when we bought a house and had a fence he could get another one.
We already had Tatonka ( shar pei mix) and Shaft ( staffy mix) one more couldnt hurt , only add more life to an alreadyloving yet chaotic house hold.

So in 2003 my husband's itch got the better of him and he announced that he was going to look at some puppies that were advertised in the paper.

A couple hours later he came home with a cute little red and white pink nosed puppy that to me looked like a beagle because his ears were sooo long on his little head.

My husband said that he originally had his eye on another puppy but that the puppy already had a deposit on him. However there was another puppy that had caught his eye and his name was "Lil Sam" short for "Little Sammy the Bull." Lil Sam caught my husbands eye first for his unusal markings and secondly for his temperment. My husband liked that when all the other puppies were jumping up on him and biting his pants Lil Sam sat patiently to be shown attention, and once was given some attention he walked away with his tail wagging.....so Lil Sam had won my husbands heart as my husband is very much the same ..very patient and content with whatever life comes his way.

So Lil Sam comes home and my husband choses his name to be "Brutus"- Marcus Junius Brutus to be more precise. Brutus the Great Strong willed Roman Leader . History tells that Brutus had great promise, ability and strength of character. Thus this name seemed befitting and through the years has proven to be true.

The first night he was home Brutus made himself comfortable on my bed. When I came to bed I didnt have the heart to wake him up, so I slid in bed next to him. My son Brian came in the room to say good night and all of a sudden the sleeping puppy woke up and starting growling and barking at my son. I reached over and told Brutus it was ok and he calmed down. In my heart I knew my tiny Roman Warrior was protecting his new mommy. Once he settled down, he again made himself comfortable on my bed and ever since that is where you can find him every night. All snuggled in my blankets and "at the ready" to defend his owners and loved ones.

** side note ** a week after Brutus was with us , the breeder called to say that the original dog that my husband was interested in has become available and offered to trade out the two dogs. After of week of having this beautiful boy with us there was no way in hell I was gonna let that happen... . My husband kindly declined. To this day I have always wondered what happened to the other dog and his litter mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment