Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Game Bred Dog -"He is what he is"



Brutus is a "GAME BRED DOG".
Those three words have caused so much havoc and division within our Pit Bull Community.
I never knew what a Game dog was before Brutus came into my life.
I, too, must have to admit I didnt particularly care for the title and it scared me. However the more I stepped out of my self righteous /judgemental box, I learned about the true nature of this wonderful breed, the more I understand about Brutus and other dogs that surround me.

There are many different definitions for GAME BRED DOGS but to me I choose to see the good that the Game bred dog brings to the table. I love to see a high drive dog proudly showing off all his gusto and muscle during a weight pull competition, agility course, dock diving or Frisbee event, or having the "never give up" strong willed determination when chasing a spring pole or having the patience and strength to hunt wild boars that are tearing up our eco system. I love all this and the fact that at the end of the day "the civilized warrior" can safely , soundly and happily snuggle up with you or young children for a good nights sleep.

With many game bred dogs comes AGGRESSION. I strongly feel that to deny, dismiss or hide our heads in the sand on the "dog on dog aggression" issue does no service to our community as it gives them a false sense of security. A pit bull owner may never see an ounce of aggression but they should educate themselves on the issue. For the owner who does see these natural traits, they need to be fully educated on it and take the necessary steps to "not set your dog up to fail".

Brutus is and has always been a true PEOPLE LOVER, hence the Lickey Lou Bru name . He is not the "other dog social" kind of dog. No matter how hard we worked with him, he is just too "HOT" around almost all dogs. Does this make him a bad dog, an unbalanced dog or a dangerous dog? NO ..he is just doing what is natural to the breed and what this breed was bred to do for over a 100+ years. Do I like it? ... ..No ,but he is what he is. He doesnt feel bad or apologize about his heritage, neither do I. He deserves the same amount of love and respect as any other dog or breed. I accept him unconditionally as he does everyday for me.

Sadly Brutus can not participate in the parades and other wonderful activities our pit bull community has to offer . We refuse to put him in any situation in which will cause him any unnecessary stress or any possibility of a bad outcome. Instead we have offered him a wonderful home with controlled monitored activities within our family, trusted friends and their dogs. (circle of trust thing)

So regardless of the Gameness he may possess , we choose to see and love the good qualities within "Our Game Boy". To us... HE IS PERFECT JUST THE WAY HE IS AND MAKES A WONDERFUL "Couch Warrior "HOUSE DOG and you know what..

We are OK with it and so is he ...


No comments:

Post a Comment